As fall approaches, New York galleries take down their summertime group shows and gear up for their fall programing. In the course of the next three weeks, I’ll preview a handful of September exhibits that I’m especially excited about.
The first is a forthcoming exhibition, at Gitterman Gallery, of pictures by the photographer Josef Breitenbach (1896-1984). Below is a selction of Breitenbach’s photos, followed by a brief Q. and A. with Tom Gitterman, the owner of Gitterman Gallery.
Click on the red arrows for a full-screen view.
Tell me a little bit about Josef Breitenbach’s work and about this exhibit
- “Portrait, Paris” (1933-39)
- “Carnival, Germany” (c.1930)
- “Annabella” (1933-39)
- “Aristide Maillol, Marley-Le-Roy” (1934)
- “Sculpture Academy, Paris” (c. 1935)
- “Max Ernst and his wife, Marie-Berthe Aurenche,