This extraordinary museum on the edge of the Bois du Boulogne was built as an extremely grand hunting lodge by the Duke of Valmy in the 19th century. The upper two floors, furnished in period style, house a high-quality and varied collection of paintings, which stretches from Medieval illuminations, to work by Caillebot (Paris street in the rain 1877), Manet, Cezanne and Degas, and two major galleries of paintings by Berthe Morisot, who was married to Manet’s brother Eugenie.
But it is the open-plan downstairs gallery that most visitors come to visit. This houses perhaps the most important collection of paintings by Monet anywhere, donated by his son, Michel, in 1966. Here is the canvas which gave the movement its name: Impression: Soleil Levant (1872), and about 20 of the late garden and water lily paintings. Several of the key scenes and themes which fascinated him are also